Love sushi? Me, too, although now I make it with veggie pate or just slivers of my favorite vegetables, instead of raw fish. (You can keep the parasites and the mercury, and I'd rather leave the fish in the ocean!)
Well, guess what? Nori, the type of seaweed used for rolled sushi, is rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and trace minerals. And when compared with plants that grow on land, seaweed or sea vegetables from the ocean are 20 times more nutrient dense. How's that for healthy?
Unfortunately, land today is robbed of energy-giving minerals due to over mining and erosion. Humans dig iron, tin, zinc and other minerals from the ground, then makes them into consumer products like building materials, vehicles and tin cans. This depletes nutrients from our soil and lessens the nutritive value of plants raised on land. If that wasn't bad enough, we are also consuming the chemicals and toxins used to prolong the shelf life of our once healthy fruits and vegetables.
On the other hand, the ocean is teeming with energy-rich minerals! Every element necessary for life is present in the currents of the sea and is absorbed by these aquatic health treasures! Minerals from the sea are then converted to organic form by seaweed, and when we eat them, are assimilated easily! Why not try out some of these seaweed benefits?
The seaweed we enjoy today in sushi is not just popular because of trendy sushi bars or the rise in popularity of spirulina and chlorella. On the contrary, seaweeds have been age-old food favorites of many ancient coastal folk worldwide, not only for their health nourishing benefits, but also for the flavor and zest it adds to dishes.
Did you know that sea vegetables or seaweed are one of the oldest living species on Earth? Imagine. Sea vegetables go as far back as the Stone Age! In fact, the first ever recorded use of sea vegetables as a food source goes all the way to 300 B.C. in China.
At one time, sea vegetable gardens were maintained in Hawaii specifically for royalty. In ancient Japan, ONLY Japanese nobility enjoyed these amazing sea vegetables.
Seaweed is the secret to super nutrition! Ocean vegetables are more and more in demand today, mainly due to their many health benefits, and not just because sushi bars have mushroomed!
Ocean vegetables are one of nature's richest sources of vegetable protein.
- Ocean vegetables supply full concentrations of beta carotene, chlorophyll, enzymes, amino acids and fiber.
- Ounce for ounce, along with herbs, they are higher in vitamins and minerals than any other food.
- Ocean vegetables are considered the most nutritionally dense plants available on the planet!
Discover more about incredible seaweed benefits:
When compared to plants grown on land, sea vegetables are 10 to 20 times higher in vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Seaweed nutrition is found to be higher than land vegetables.
- The Japanese variety Hijiki (also known as hiziki), arame, and wakame contain 10 times the calcium of milk.
- When compared to the iron available in beef, sea lettuce has 25 times more, hijiki 8 times more, and wakame and other kelps, four times more.
- Love sushi? Nori, the dark sea vegetable sheet used to wrap those delectable Japanese rice rolls, can pack a protein content as high as 25-50% of its dry weight - the highest of any ocean vegetable. It is also high in Vitamin A, which is recommended for maintaining good eyesight.
- The natural iodine in seaweeds is an easy, non-toxic way to meet the iodine requirement in your diet. The symptoms of iodine deficiency include chronic fatigue, apathy, dry skin, intolerance to cold, weight gain, and enlargement of the thyroid (goiter). These symptoms are the same as those of thyroid hormone deficiency.
According to noted herbalist Dr. Ryan Drum, you would have to eat about 40 pounds of fresh vegetables or fruits (that is a LOT of veggies!) to get as much iodine as you would from 1 gram of whole leaf kelp.
- Forget the fad diets (please). The only way to lose and maintain your weight is to eat healthy and exercise regularly. Ocean vegetables help by breaking down the fat and flushing it out of your system. It helps you get in shape and stay that way!
- Sick and tired of allergies? Your weak immune system allows the never-ending runny nose and symphonic sniffing and sneezing every morning. Strengthen your immune system and you greet the day clog free! This is one of the most appreciated seaweed benefits by allergy sufferers.
- Seaweed naturally slashes your risk of a heart attack. Its nutrients clear the plaque in your arteries. This does not entitle you to eat all the fatty foods you want! You still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Seaweed is high in fiber. Our colons rejoice when they get their daily dose of it! Seaweed cleans out digestive system: it soothes, disinfects, and nourishes distressed surfaces; helps out with the metabolism of lipids; and maintains a healthy balance of digestive yeasts and bacteria in the intestines.
- Regular servings of ocean vegetables not only make our inner organs healthier, but also gives us glossier hair and luminous skin. Consider this one of those freebie seaweed benefits, particularly Vitamin A. Who doesn't want to have noticeably healthy hair and skin?
- The naturally occurring sodium found in several types of seaweed bathes our body with rich salty nourishment, needed by our glands to communicate with one another. It also assists in the proper functioning of our nerves and muscles. Yes, sea salt is healthy when consumed in moderation.